Coaching is about making a positive difference to your future and making what you want to have happen, happen. Through Coaching you design a strategy for getting what you want and define the specific steps to get you there. However, knowing what you want is one thing, actually taking the action to achieve that result is another!
So how do you access the motivation to do what you have to do to get what you want? Fortunately coaching has tools to help with this too.
Coaching establishes the connection between inspiration and motivation. It taps into what will really inspire you to be motivated to take action. It makes the connection between head and heart. The first 2 things to do ensure you get what you want are:
1. Know what you want: What is the goal or outcome that you want? What does success look like? How will you know when you’ve been successful
2. Understand your ‘why’: This is the motivation to achieve your goal.
a) What will you gain from getting what you want?
b) What difference will having it make to you?
c) What will you feel when you’ve got it?
Once you are clear on what you want and why, the next questions to ask yourself are about ‘how’ are you going to get what you want. So,
3. Establish the way forward – what are you going to do? Think about:
a) What do you have to do to get what you want?
b) What is the very first step?
c) What specific action are you going to take?
Now answer these questions to help you do what you say you are going to do:
4. Agree ‘when’: When are you going to do it? Put it in your diary.
5. Ask ‘who’: What support/help do you need? When will you ask them?
6. Anticipate ‘walls’: What/who might stand in your way? What resistance, obstacles or challenges can your foresee? How can you overcome them? (Forewarned is forearmed!)
The next thing is to commit, so ask yourself:
7. Will I do it? How committed are you? On a scale of 1-10, how strong is your will to see it through?
Any lastly, with your actions achieved, it’s about reward and recognition:
8. Acknowledge the ‘win’: How will you celebrate when you’ve done what you had to do to get what you want?
So follow the 8 W’s to ensure that get what you want:
What – why – way forward – when – who – walls – will – win
What do you want?
Why do you want it?
What are you going to do?
When are you going to do it?
Who needs to help you?
What walls can you foresee?
Will you do it?
Celebrate your win. Happy Days!!